In 1968, a young entrepreneur and electronics technician named Dick Smith opened a car radio installation business in a tiny area beneath a car park in the Sydney suburb of Artarmon, with only $610.
The business soon began to flourish thanks to Dick Smith’s exceptional customer service and his flair for gaining publicity. Barely a year later Dick Smith had to move to a larger location, and by 1980 there were more than 20 stores in Australia.
The business was going so well that Dick Smith couldn’t supply all the working capital alone, so he sold a 60% share to Woolworths. By 1982, Dick Smith had sold the remaining 40% to Woolworths.
Dick Smith Electronics remained the name of the company, along with the iconic black and yellow branding. The company has since grown at an impressive rate and in 2009 Dick Smith began a company-wide rebrand – changing layouts, product range, and replacing the “Electronics” in the name to "Talk to the Techxperts".
The new stores are sleek, more streamlined, and more interactive for customers. The walls are lined with widescreen flat panel TVs and mobile phones and shelves are stacked with the latest computers, laptops, gaming devices, digital music players, and digital imaging equipment.
It’s an exciting new period for Dick Smith – new life has been given to the brand so the future will see continuous growth, evolution, and great Techxpert advice.